Thursday 25 July 2013

VirtualBox on Kali Linux, How To?

It's been ages since I write anything, but it was constantly in my mind that I was reminding myself "c'mon Ozgur you should write something on your blog, you have a blog. Write!"

Now is the time, it'll be a very quick step-by-step.

Recently my new hobby is testing pentest distros. Of course along the way I know now some of my neighbours Wi-Fi passwords. After testing and trying out versions and configurations and drivers and CUDA and some other stuff, I think I am gonna settle on either Kali or WeakNetLabs. I can make Ubuntu an OK degree pentest distro as best of my abilities also, but I claimed it impossible to enable CUDA with my hardware. It will simply not be happening. I tried everything I know and can be found on forums and stuff. It will not work. So I continued...

WNL comes with CUDA 5.0 and pretty recent and decent Nvidia drivers out of box but I have some little other issues I first need to fix so it will take another post to go that way.

On the other hand, Kali is playing well with my hardware if I use Cuda 4.x and old Nvidia drivers. Which, frankly, I am ok with. Normally I update everything to the latest but in this case I will make an exception since it is really too hard to get it done everything correctly for me (which I mean WPA cracking via CUDA =P ).

Back to the guide; I will try to give you little heads up before you use Kali as a host for VirtualBox images. I will assume you login as root and since it is a pentest distro you should be familiar with most of the stuff already.

apt-get update
if you have still 2 or 3 lines of  sources.list after this, it is a good time to find an appropriate sources.list for your distro which Kali I hope not BackTrack.

apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
this should update 20 to 60 mbs if not it is probably because of the sources.list is not rich enough. You may get some errors like cannot locate 37-trunk-amd64 or such with header update, but it is a matter of fixing the sources.list really.

after that we should head to the https://www.virtualbox.org and press downloads. You should see the version and platforms. Find and click
VirtualBox 4.x.yz for Linux hosts on. You will not see anything close to our distro. But you can very easily locate the last one;
All distributions choose your platform, either 32 or 64 bits. Download the file, I am assuming you download it to the ~/Downloads/. Following finishing download make the file executable with chmod and then run it.

chmod +x VirtualBox-4.2.16-86992-Linux_amd64.run
./VirtualBox-4.2.16-86992-Linux_amd64.run
what you should see if everything goes right is;

 Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation............
VirtualBox Version 4.2.16 r86992 (2013-07-04T14:33:09Z) installer
Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox
Python found: python, installing bindings...
Building the VirtualBox kernel modules

VirtualBox has been installed successfully.

You will find useful information about using VirtualBox in the user manual
  /opt/VirtualBox/UserManual.pdf
and in the user FAQ
  http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

We hope that you enjoy using VirtualBox.


after that type and go the default installation directory;

cd /opt/VirtualBox/
get a list there. You will see a VirtualBox executable righted file. Run it directly from the console.

VirtualBox
Voilà!

There you have your VirtualBox on Kali.


I tried also XP on it and it worked just as fine without any hassle. It's a good setting now. CUDA to crack and i3 CPU - 8GB ram to play with.

Enjoy. Next time I will write about qbittorrent application and its nicest settings I figured out for Kali or maybe on WeakNetLabs.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uniquely amazing! I could wax ecstatic over the skillful and totally readable way you wrote this and how you found that sweet spot between informative detail and ease of comprehension, but I'd be missing out on the most profound aspect of your writing: the genuinely intense and serious enthusiasm for the technicalities, and an almost romantically frivolous love for the topic itself. With sincere gratitude and appreciation, casey.

    ReplyDelete